Maria Lourdes Cruz-Caudal is a Culinary Nutritionist-Dietitian. Chef Malou has taken her knowledge and skills as a professional chef with a Bachelors Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics to a new level. She facilitates food lifestyle change through personalized nutrition therapy and culinary guidance. Central to Chef Malou’s work is educating people about nutrition through hands-on experiences with food— learning how to shop for and prepare food is paramount to understanding how to eat a healthy diet.
Mrs. Caudal worked in various settings including food establishments, schools and private practice. In Manila Doctors College, she was formerly the Lead Person for Nutrition, Over-all Coordinator of the College of Arts and Sciences and Head of the Nutrition and Culinary Arts Department. She was the Head of the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Services Department of Negros Navigation Oceanlink Institute.
One of Chef Malou’s greatest passions is to encourage people to prepare nutritious food and she has visited many schools and colleges in Manila giving demonstrations. In 2007 she designed the Bachelor of Science in Holistic Nutrition with Culinary Arts in Manila Doctors College - not just to educate students about nutrition but to apply culinary arts in a number of subject areas.
In 2009, she spearheaded the TESDA Accreditation of Bartending NC II, Commercial Cooking NC II, Food and Beverage NC II and Housekeeping NC II in Negros Navigation Oceanlink Institute. Chef Malou is due to publish another book this year which will help people to gain confidence in their cookery ability and skills.
After successfully completing the standards set forth by the National Restaurant Education Foundation for the ServSafe Food Protection Certification Examination, Mrs. Caudal conducts trainings and seminars on Food Safety and Sanitation.
Areas of practice
- Culinary consulting and advisory
- Nutrition therapy and culinary guidance
- Conducts seminar-workshops on culinary nutrition
- Conducts ServSafe seminar-workshops
- Curriculum designer
- Food Service Proprietor
- Master in Educational Management Major in Administration and Supervision, Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Fundamentals in Pastry Arts, International School for Culinary Arts and Hotel Management (2010)
- Heny Sison Culinary School (2010)
- Culinary Arts for Nutritionist-Dietitians(CAND), Center for Culinary Arts Manila (2008)
- Summer Entrechef Workshop, Le Cordon Bleu Manille Philippines (2008)
- Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition, Centro Escolar University, Manila (1979)
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Registered Nutritionist-Dietitian
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager
- TESDA AM/TM and Commercial Cooking NC II certified
- Nutritionist-Dietitians Association of the Philippines (NDAP)
- EMCI Gastronomical Club International
- Basic Nutrition Textbook for Nursing Students, C&E Publishing Company (2008)
- Basic Nutrition Laboratory Manual for Nursing Students, C&E Publishing Company (2008)