Some people on 1st impression perceive Edward as a snob compared to other celebrity chefs with easy smiles; but as they get to realize shortly after, this celebrity chef with a “serious” personality is a very sensible fellow & actually possesses unique culinary talent with much potential. His advocacies in helping the less-fortunate reveal a “big heart” which keep Edward “well grounded”. A firm believer that the recipe to a successful career as a chef is to ensure fresh and premium ingredients are fundamentals to preparing quality food, and this must go hand-in-hand with, good business-sense , and superior customer service.
Born in the small town of Los Banos, Laguna, Chef Edward’s love for food was fostered during his childhood, when as early as 7 years old he began baking cookies. Edward says he was born into cooking. He also had training at a young age by joining food preparations for their town fiestas and celebrations. All these were inspired by his father, a chef in the Middle East who died when his mother was conceiving him on her 8th month of pregnancy.
He studied at Centro Escolar University with a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management. As a student he was fond of joining several inter-school competitions and the most memorable was the Umami Asian Market Basket where he placed first. That same year, Centro Escolar University was overall champion.
He apprenticed under the Executive Chef of Malacanang Palace, Chef Aurora Austria. He next underwent intensive training at Shangri-La; afterwhich, Edward’s professional career took-off when he was absorbed by the same hotel. He later transferred to work at Pico de Loro Hamillio Coast, Batangas.
Eventually, Edward returned to Manila and in December 2010 started planning his very own business venture. Edward’s success continued with the opening of his commissary that offers a wide range of pastries like cakes, bars, brownies, cookies, cupcakes, cream puffs, éclairs, muffins, customized cakes and a desserts bar.
He is responsible for all the accolades of Royale Patisserie. “I wanted every customer to feel like a king or a queen as they taste and feel the sophistication and dedication that was placed into our pastries” says Edward.
His career as a young entrepreneur flourished when he received orders from Resorts World Manila, Elite Society, and even TV personalities. Now you may visit Hollys Coffee for their products where his cakes and pastries are being offered. Royale Patisserie joined WOFEX 2nd Philippine Culinary Challenge wedding cake category with two entries and he joined again the 3nd Philippine Culinary Challenge wedding cake category with one entry and won GOLD.
Today, Edward’s highlight of success is establishing himself as a television chef personality, doing cooking demos on GMA’s Unang Hirit, 5 issues for Flavors Magazine, Lifestyle Recipe Magazine, soon to be featured under chefs-on-parade at CookEatNow.com managed by ABS-CBN, and more projects in the pipeline.
Simultaneously, he conducts workshops for kids at Manila Ocean Park. He was also invited by Arellano University to be one of its student mentors for the 2011 and 2012 National Food Showdown- an annual event mounted by ABS-CBN. Edward is very generous in sharing his artistic values in cooking and baking skills, he does consultancy for students of Centro Escolar University by coaching Goldilocks inter-school competitions every year and other related tournaments. Chef Edward Mateo is a pastry chef instructor of Centro Escolar University and the Culinary Institute of Asia; and has signed his contract as the Breville Product Ambassador of the Philippines. This year Cookeatnow.com of ABS-CBN honoured Edward with title: the modern day “Dessert Prince”.
- Baking Techniques
- Menu Planning and Costing
- Food Innovation and Production
- Kitchen Operations
- Centro Escolar University, Mendiola, Manila- Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management, June 2006 -April 2010
- Apprenticeship under Chef Aurora Austria, Executive Chef of Malacanang Palace
- Owner, La Royale Patisserie, La Royale Kitchen Studio, La Royale Commissary
- Ambassador, Breville Product, Australian Kitchen Equipment, Sept 2012 –Present
- Columnist, Cook Magazine Monthly Issue “Chef Edward Mateo Great Bakes”, November 2012-Present
- Contributor, Flavors Magazine Recipe, January 2011-Present
- Food Stylist: Magnolia Ice Cream House, Congo Grill,Flavors of China, Yang Chow Mandarin Wok
- Consultant, Timberland Book and Borders Chef’s Noodle
- Commi 3 Pastry/Baker, Hamilo Coast Pico de Loro Beach and Country Club, 2010-2011
- Pastry Chef, Edsa Shangri-La Manila, 2010
Awards & Recognitions
- “The Modern Dessert Prince” title given by ABS-CBN
Escolarian Exemplar Award
- 2014 Global Excellence Awardee for Young Professional for Culinary Arts
- 2014 Dangal ng Bayan for Young Professional for Culinary Arts
- 2013 Dangal ng Bayan Award for Culinary and Entrepreneurship
- 2013 Bread and Butter Life Achievement Award for Young Achiever-Culinary Arts
- 2013 Consumers Quality Award for Outstanding Cakes and Goodies Shop
- 2014 International awardee for Global Excellence for Global for Outstanding Bakeshop and Pastries a Prestigious Corporate & Product Award Seal in recognition of World-class Excellence in the Branding and Trademark Industry.
- 2011 Gold Medalist at Philippine Culinary Cup Wedding Cake Category
- 2012 Gold Medalist at National Food Showdown for Wedding Category, Cupcake Category, Chocolate and Showpiece Category
- 2012 Silver Medalist at National Food Showdown for Plated Desserts Category, Dress the Cake Category, Small Cakes Category, and Pastillas Category